Collection Development Policy with Regard to Books, Periodicals and Non-Print Media Viz. Audio-Visual, CD-ROM and Other Electronic Journal for Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology, Hisar
Selection of Books:-
- The Chairperson while making recommendation for purchase of books in the Library will get the recommendation examined with a committee of 3 teachers of the department and shall ensure that the books relate to the syllabi and meet the requirement of faculty and students. The suggestion of the titles by students or other members of the faculty shall be made to the Chairpersons of the concerned department, and recommendation for such books, it necessary, shall be made by the Chairperson. As far as possible, the author, title, publisher, price and publication year shall be providing for each recommended title.
- The books may also be selected on the occasion of a book fair in Delhi or elsewhere by a committee comprising the following:
- Chairman of the department concerned and/or his nominee(s)
- Librarian and/or his nominee(s)
- The University Librarian shall select the reference and books of general nature.
The following procedure shall generally be followed for affecting the purchase of books:
- The Incharge acquisition shall make check the recommended list of books with regard to duplication(unless desired), and correctness of bibliographic data.
- The University Librarian shall make purchase of the books for the University Library within sanctioned budget grant, on the recommendation of the Chairperson of the department concerned and in accordance with the allocations made by the Library Committee/Vice-Chancellor. The order shall be placed with the firms or repute, which can supply books as per the approved terms and conditions.
- The supply period for the locally published books shall normally be one month, and for books published overseas 3 months. Non-compliance of this condition shall automatically cancel the order, which shall then be placed with another firm. The supply period can, however, be extended by the Librarian in genuine cases.
- The Government, Institutional and society publications shall be purchased from the issuing organization on the discount offered by them. If such books are not available with the issuing organization, then the same shall be purchased from other sources at the rates of discount approved by the Good Offices Committee.
- The Librarian and Incharge acquisition shall certify that the books have been received in good condition in conformity with the approved terms and conditions.
- The price of books shall be verified from the following :
- Price printed on the book
- Publishers' latest catalogue
- Photocopy of any other book-selection tool
- Purchase Invoice from the publishers or his Indian representative.
However in all cases the supplier shall certify that the latest publishers prices have been charged, and any difference in the cost shall be refunded at any time.
- Foreign books shall be purchased on current bank conversion rates of Reserve Bank of India/ any nationalized bank (on the date of billing) or exchange rates published in Economic Times as T.T. selling on previous day of the date of billing. In case or due to any other reasons, the conversion rate in the Economic Times is not published on particular day, then the conversion rates/ exchange rates published in the last published Economic Times may be considered. University Librarian shall be competent to accept/ authenticate the bank conversion rates downloaded from the internet/ published from nationalized banks or a photocopy from "The Economic Times".
Discount and other Terms & Conditions:
- The University Librarian shall affect the purchased of the books and other reading material from standard book suppliers/distributors and avail discount as under:
- Indian Books - General 27%
- Short discounted Indian Text Books 20%
- Foreign Books (bank rate of exchange) 27%
- The non-commercial publications, such as, Government/Semi-Government publications, Society Publications, etc. may be purchased on the terms and discount offered by the issuing agency/supplier.
- Short/no discount titles, and rare books not available on above discounts, shall be purchased from the available sources either on short discount or net price and on suppliers' terms
- In addition to the above, the Librarian shall be competent to purchase such books at the rate of discount approved by the Good Offices Committee wherever it is judged that the books are not available on higher discount or cannot be procured speedily on higher discount.
- The purchase of multi-volume books consisting more than Rs. 10,000/- (Rupees Ten Thousand only) in case of Indian books and more than Rs. 20,000/- (Rupees Twenty Thousand only) in case of Foreign books shall be affected by inviting Quotations.
- University Librarian is authorized to pay actual postage, transport charges, etc. out of the office contingency grants, wherever applicable.
- Other terms in supply order will cover all the standard terms and condition with regard to book supplies and procurement.
Subscription of Periodicals:-
The Chairperson in consultation with three teachers/staff council shall recommend the list of printed National Journals. The Libraian shall continue to subscribe the journals year by year till any Chairperson recommends any deletion in this list. However, the Chairperson can add printed National Journals in the existing list.
The recommended journals may be subscribed through vendors on L1 basis or directly through publishers/sole distributors on their terms and conditions. However, in case the supply is received through vendor/sole distributors, a mutual agreement shall be signed. The agrrement shall be signed for a period of two years and shall be extendable for further one year subject to satisfactory service.
If any journal issue has not been received against the order, the publisher/vendor/sole distributor would be asked to replace it (free of cost) or to give credit notes or to extend the period of subscription for the corresponding period.
- For foreign journals quotations shall be invited from the reputed subscription agencies in the country. These quotations shall be scrutinized by a sub-committee approved by the Vice-Chancellor for the purpose. The order for subscription to the foreign journals shall be placed through a subscription agency quoting maximum discount. However, the discount shall not be the only consideration or guiding factor while considering a vendor to undertake subscription of Foreign Journals on behalf of the University. Other factors, such as, vendor reliability, past performance, reputation should be duly considered. Since for journals payments have to be remitted in advance, this would save the university a lot of trouble on account of irregular and delayed supplies.
The quotation shall normally be valid for two years with regard to the rate of discount on the prevailing subscription cost. However, for the second year the order shall be placed on the basis of the satisfactory supply position during the first year.
To ensure timely and continues supply of foreign journals, the agency approved will have to enter into an agreement with the University.